Storyteller Overland is an adventure van manufacturer based in Birmingham, Alabama. They are building 4×4 camper van conversions on the Sprinter and Transit chassis with a power system that can keep you off-grid for days.
We had the opportunity to test the Mode 4×4 adventure van prototype on the Transit platform and below is a round up of our experiences.
In this post you’ll find:
- How we ended up in a Storyteller Overland
- Full van tour
- Van specs
- Essential Gears & Gadgets for van life
- Van Life in a Mode 4×4
- Additional Resources
Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4
“Live Free. Explore Endlessly. Tell Better Stories.” – That’s the ethos behind each Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4 rolling out of the factory in Birmingham, Alabama.
The Mode 4×4 on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis is the first production model introduced by Storyteller Overland. These are sold through a dealer network across the United States with a price lock guarantee.
Learn more about Storyteller Overland’s story and purpose at https://storytelleroverland.com/ourstory/
Note: the Mode 4×4 prototype used and referenced in this post was on loan to us to test and provide feedback on. No one told us what to write or say. All of the opinions are our own, 100%.
How We Ended Up in a Storyteller Overland
We learned about Storyteller Overland at an industry RV Show where we were shopping for our next camper. You can watch that video below.
A chance meeting a few weeks later lead to us breaking bread with the founder of Storyteller Overland and their head of business development. All good things happen over a great meal right?
Since we are interested in a camper built on the Ford Transit chassis, we jumped at the opportunity to test out the Transit Mode 4×4 prototype.
The Mode 4×4 camper van was on loan to us for a two months where we were able to put it through its paces. In that time, we drove over 7,000 miles around the United States.
We carried a motorcycle on the hitch the entire time. Charley the yellow Labrador Retriever also joined us for the first month so we could get a feel of what it’s like to travel with a dog in the Mode 4×4.
Be sure to check out the “Van Life in a Mode 4×4” section of this post.
Mode 4×4 Transit Adventure Van Tour
Watch the full van tour below. Keep in mind this Ford Transit custom camper is a prototype and some features may be different in the production model.
Mode 4×4 Adventure Van Specs
Below are highlights of features in the production model of the Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4.
- Living area: seating for four: two on bench seat, two on swivel front seats
- Kitchen: stainless steel sink, induction stove top, microwave, AC/DC fridge.
- Bedroom: non-standard size bed, flares on driver and passenger side of the van to increase bed length to 77″ (east/west). Be can be lifted and stowed out of the way.
- Bathroom: fold out shower and portable cassette toilet system
- Tank sizes: 21 gallon fresh water tank, 21 gallon gray water tank\
- Hot Water & Heat: diesel or gas water heater and furnace
- A/C: Roof mounted A/C unit that can be powered without shore power
- Safety: smoke detector, CO2 detector and fire extinguisher
- Solar: 90 watts of Zamp solar, wired for max of 600 watts
- Battery: 12,000 watt hours/1,200 ah lithium batteries, part of the Volta Power System
- Inverter: 3,600 watt
- Secondary Alternator: 8,000 watt charging system
- Storage: overhead cabinets throughout the van, garage area underneath the platform bed
Essential Gears & Gadgets
This is a list of all the gears and gadgets we found essential for camper van life.
- Water Hose – Lead free and compact
- Cell Signal Booster – To get the best cell connection available
- Dashcam – I explain why we use it in the New Orleans video
- Instant Pot – We cook most meals in this electric pressure cooker. Kait is working on the cookbook, in the meantime here are some IP Recipes.
- Essential Tools – All the tools we carried in the van
- Motorcycle Carrier – hitch receiver mounted carrier
For camping gear and other items we use and love, head over to Our Store.
Van Life in a Mode 4×4
To get a better feel of what it’s like to live full time out of a 4×4 Transit camper van, watch the videos below.
Mode 4×4 with a Puppy.
Taking a Transit 4×4 Quigley Conversion Off-Road in Utah.
Road-trips in an Off-grid Adventure Van:
First stop: South Dakota
Second stop: Yellowstone National Park
Living in an Adventure Van Down by the River.
Our final destination in the Mode 4×4 took us to one of our favorite cities: Bend, Oregon. At the beginning of this video I share some thoughts on finding community on the road.
Reach the Storyteller Overland Team – call, e-mail, or schedule an appointment to check out their HQ in sweet home Alabama.
Class B RV Manufacturers – complete list of Class B manufacturers
Cost of Full Time RV Living – Monthly breakdowns for Class A RV Living and Class B Van Life
Frequently Asked Questions About Van Life – answers to popular questions about van life