Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means we will earn a commission on the products or services you purchase using the links. There is no additional cost to you and the earnings help keep this website running. Read the Affiliate Disclaimer for more information.
Storyteller Overland is an adventure van manufacturer based in Birmingham, Alabama. They currently build 4×4 Class B RVs on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis with a power system that can keep you off-grid for days. Each conversion camper vans is also certified by RVIA.
We tested Storyteller Overland’s MODE4x4 adventure van on the Sprinter 4×4 platform as well as the prototype on the Transit chassis. This is a round up of our experiences.
Note: the MODE4x4 prototype and production vans referenced in this post were on loan to us to test and provide feedback on. No one told us what to write or say. All of the opinions are our own, 100%.
To get started, watch our video tour of the Sprinter MODE4x4 below to learn more about this awesome off-grid adventure van.
About Storyteller Overland
“Live Free. Explore Endlessly. Tell Better Stories.” – That’s the ethos behind each MODE4x4 rolling out of the factory in Birmingham, Alabama.
MODE4x4 on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis is the first production 4×4 Class B RV by Storyteller Overland. These RVIA certified camper vans are sold through a dealer network across the United States with a price lock guarantee.
BeastMODE is the fully kitted out version of the MODE4x4 which was recently released out into the wild.
How We Ended Up in a MODE4x4
We learned about Storyteller Overland at an industry RV Show where we were shopping for our next camper. Watch that video below.
All good things happen over a great meal right? A chance meeting a few weeks later lead to us breaking bread with Jeffrey Hunter, founder of Storyteller Overland and their head of business development, Andrew Cooley.
Since we are interested in an off-grid adventure camping van built on the Ford Transit chassis, we jumped at the opportunity to test out the MODE4x4 prototype on the Transit chassis with the Quigley4x4 conversion.
The Transit MODE4x4 was on loan to us for two months where we were able to put it through its paces. In that time, we drove over 7,000 miles exploring the United States.
We carried a motorcycle on the hitch the entire time. Charley the yellow Labrador Retriever also joined us for the first month so we could get a feel of what it’s like to travel with a dog in a MODE4x4.
When the production MODE4x4 on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis was released, we also got to test that out for a few weeks.
Check out the MODElife section to see what it’s like living out of a MODE4x4.
MODE4x4 Van Tours and Specs
Watch the full van tours below. Keep in mind the Ford Transit MODE4x4 is a prototype and some features are different from the Mercedes Sprinter MODE4x4.
MODE4x4 Sprinter Van Tour
Mode4x4 Transit Van Tour (Prototype)
MODE4x4 Adventure Van Specs
Below are highlights of features in the production model of the Storyteller Overland MOD4x4.
- Living area: seating for four: two on bench seat, two on swivel front seats
- Kitchen: stainless steel sink, induction stove top, microwave, AC/DC fridge.
- Bedroom: non-standard size bed, flares on driver and passenger side of the van to increase bed length to 77″ (east/west). Be can be lifted and stowed out of the way.
- Bathroom: fold out shower and portable cassette toilet system
- Tank sizes: 21 gallon fresh water tank, 21 gallon gray water tank\
- Hot Water & Heat: diesel or gas water heater and furnace
- A/C: Roof mounted A/C unit that can be powered without shore power
- Safety: smoke detector, CO2 detector and fire extinguisher
- Insulation: natural high-performance wool insulation
- Solar: 90 watts of solar, wired for max of 600 watts
- Battery: 12,000 watt hours/1,000 ah lithium batteries, part of the Volta Power System
- Inverter: 3,600 watt
- Secondary Alternator: 8,000 watt charging system
- Storage: overhead cabinets throughout the van, garage area underneath the platform bed
MODElife in a Storyteller Overland
See what it’s like to live out of a MODE4x4 camper van.
Taking a MODE4x4 Off-Road
MODE4x4 Road Trips
A typical day living out of the MODE4x4
Bend, Oregon Travel Guide At the beginning of this video I share some thoughts on finding community on the road.
Moving in to the production model MODE4x4
Adventure Van gathering in Lake Tahoe
Beach Camping MODE4x4
A relaxing day in San Diego, California
Class B RV Manufacturers – complete list of Class B RV manufacturers
Class C RV Manufacturers – complete list of Small Class C RV Manuacturers
Frequently Asked Questions About Van Life – answers to popular questions about van life