Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means we will earn a commission on the products or services you purchase using the links. There is no additional cost to you and the earnings help keep this website running. Read the Affiliate Disclaimer for more information.
Storyteller Overland is a Class B RV van manufacturer based in Birmingham, Alabama. Currently, they build full van conversions on the 4×4 Mercedes Sprinter chassis. These off-road and off-grid adventure vans are RVIA certified. Keep reading to learn more about these fully converted camper vans and why they are one of the best Class B RVs on the market.
Table of Contents
- About Storyteller Overland
- Sprinter Mode 4×4 Van Tours and Specs
- Transit Mode 4×4 Van Tour and Spec
- Mode 4×4 Van Life Video Series
- Additional Resources
- Rent a Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4 van
About Storyteller Overland
“Live Free. Explore Endlessly. Tell Better Stories.” – That’s the ethos behind each Mode 4×4 adventure van rolling out of the factory in Birmingham, Alabama.
Storyteller Overland headquarters is located at 109 W Park Dr, Birmingham, AL 35211. You can stop by during business hours to tour the facility and meet the team. Kait and I have visited the HQ several times and highly encourage anyone shopping for a camper or visiting Alabama to stop in for a visit.
These RVIA certified Class B camper vans are sold through a dealer network across the United States with a price lock guarantee. This helps ensure Mode 4×4 buyers pay the same price no matter where they are located in the nation.
Mode 4×4 Van Tours and Specs
Currently there are three Mode 4×4 vans available for purchase.
- Classic Mode 4×4
- Stealth Mode 4×4
- Beast Mode 4×4
All three adventure vans are built on the Mercedes Sprinter 4×4 chassis with the 144″ wheelbase.
Classic Mode 4×4 Van Tour
The production model of the Classic Mode 4×4 was first released in fall 2019. Some of the features highlighted in the video above have changed such as the awning, vent, and sink.
Beast Mode 4×4 Van Tour
The Beast was released out into the wild summer 2020. This is the fully kitted out version of the Classic Mode 4×4 with suspension upgrades, exterior lighting package, front brush guard, defender bug screens and many more features.
Mode 4×4 Van Specs
These are highlights of some of the features in the production model of the Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4 vans.
- Living area: seating for four: two on swivel front seats and two on bench seat with three point harness.
- Kitchen: stainless steel sink, induction stove top, microwave, AC/DC fridge.
- Bedroom: non-standard size bed, flares on driver and passenger side of the van to increase bed length to 77″ (east/west). Can be lifted and stowed out of the way to maximize garage area.
- Bathroom: fold out shower and portable cassette toilet system
- Tank sizes: 21 gallon fresh water tank, 24 gallon gray water tank
- Hot Water & Heat: diesel water heater and furnace
- A/C: Roof mounted A/C unit that can be powered by the Volta Power System
- Safety: smoke detector, CO2 detector and fire extinguisher
- Insulation: natural high-performance wool insulation
- Solar: 90 watts of solar, wired for max of 600 watts
- Battery: 12,000 watt hours lithium batteries, part of the Volta Power System
- Inverter: 3,600 watt
- Secondary Alternator: 8,000 watt charging system
- Storage: overhead cabinets throughout the van, garage area underneath the platform bed
Transit Mode 4×4 Prototype
When we first learned about Storyteller Overland at an industry RV Show they had two prototype vans on display. One of the prototypes was built on the Ford Transit chassis with the 148″ wheelbase.
This video highlights our camper shopping experience at the show and the first time we stepped inside the Ford Transit Mode 4×4 prototype.
Mode 4×4 Transit Prototype Van Tour
One of the reasons we filmed a tour of the Transit Mode 4×4 prototype is because we were interested in RVs built on the Ford Transit platform. This camper van also stood because of the aftermarket Quigley 4×4 conversion. We considered several chassis options for a camper van and prefer the Ford platform.
Two Months in the Transit Mode 4×4
A chance meeting a few weeks later lead to us breaking bread with Jeffrey Hunter, founder of Storyteller Overland and their head of business development, Andrew Cooley.
We jumped at the opportunity to test out the Transit Mode 4×4 prototype. In total, we spent two months in the van and drove over 7,000 miles exploring the United States.
For the entire time, we carried a motorcycle on the hitch. Charley, my mom’s yellow Labrador Retriever joined us for the first month so we could get a feel of what it’s like to travel with a dog in a Mode 4×4.
While Storyteller Overland is not building any camper vans on the Transit platform right now, we hope that will change in the future.
Mode 4×4 Van Life Video Series
In total, we have spent about four months testing the different Mode 4×4 vans. During that time, we created several videos about what it’s like to drive and live out of these vans. The videos are embedded below or you can check out the Storyteller Overland Playlist on YouTube.
Going Off-Road to Toquerville Falls
Typical Van Life Day – Shower Included
Finding Community and Van Life in Bend Oregon
Moving in to a Mode 4×4
Beach Camping in a Mode 4×4
Volta Power System in Every Mode 4×4
Complete list of Class B RV Manufacturer
Rent a Mode 4×4
There is a Mode 4×4 available for rent in Washington State. As more vans make it out in to the wild, hopefully there will be more available for rent.
Disclosure: the Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4 vans referenced in this post were on loan to us to test and provide feedback on. No one told us what to write or say. All of the opinions are our own, 100%.