Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means we will earn a commission on the products or services you purchase using the links. There is no additional cost to you and the earnings help keep this website running. Read the Affiliate Disclaimer for more information.
Storyteller Overland is a Class B RV adventure van manufacturer based in Birmingham, Alabama. The company released its line up of 2022 Mode van line up today which includes the MODE4x4 vans on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis along with the all new MODE LT on the Ford Transit AWD chassis. All of Storyteller Overland’s off-road and off-grid adventure vans are RVIA certified. Keep reading to learn more about these fully converted camper vans and why they are one of the best Class B RVs on the market.
About Storyteller Overland
“Live Free. Explore Endlessly. Tell Better Stories.” – That’s the ethos behind each MODE 4×4 adventure van rolling out of the factory in Birmingham, Alabama.
Storyteller Overland headquarters is located at 109 W Park Dr, Birmingham, AL 35211. You can stop by during business hours to tour the facility and meet the team. Kait and I have visited the HQ several times and highly encourage anyone shopping for a camper or visiting Alabama to stop in for a visit. Check out our Birmingham video to get some ideas of things to do while you’re in town.
Storyteller Overland 2022 MODE Vans For Sale
For the 2022 model year, there are four Storyteller Overland Mode vans for sale.
- MODE LT (Transit) – $153,748
- Classic MODE 4×4 (Sprinter) – $157,747
- Stealth MODE 4×4 (Sprinter) – $169,454
- Beast MODE 4×4 (Sprinter) – $198,746
The MODE LT is built on the Transit AWD with the 148″wheelbase. The Classic, Stealth and Beast MODE4x4s are built on the Mercedes Sprinter 4×4 chassis with the 144″ wheelbase.
These RVIA certified Class B campers are sold through a dealer network across the United States with a price lock guarantee. This helps ensure Mode buyers pay the same price no matter where they are located in the nation.
Classic MODE 4×4 Van Tour
The production model of the Storyteller Overland Classic MODE 4×4 was first released in fall 2019. Please note that some of the features highlighted in the video above have changed with the release of each new model year. The latest upgrades and features will be announced on September 24, 2021.
Beast MODE 4×4 Van Tour
The Beast MODE 4×4 was released out into the wild summer 2020. This is the fully kitted out version of the Classic MODE 4×4 with suspension upgrades, exterior lighting package, front brush guard, defender bug screens and many more features.
MODE Van Specs
Below are highlights of some of the features in the production MODE vans by Storyteller Overland. Please note that some of these may change as the latest upgrades and features for the 2022 models will be announced on September 24, 2021.
- Living area: seating for four: two on swivel front seats and two on bench seat with three point harness.
- Kitchen: stainless steel sink, induction stove top, microwave, AC/DC fridge.
- Bedroom: non-standard size bed, flares on driver and passenger side of the van to increase bed length to 77″ (east/west). Can be lifted and stowed out of the way to maximize garage area.
- Bathroom: fold out shower and portable cassette toilet system
- Tank sizes: 21 gallon fresh water tank, 24 gallon gray water tank
- Hot Water & Heat: diesel water heater and furnace
- A/C: Roof mounted A/C unit that can be powered by the Volta Power System
- Safety: smoke detector, CO2 detector and fire extinguisher
- Insulation: natural high-performance wool insulation
- Solar: 90 watts of solar, wired for max of 600 watts
- Battery: 12,000 watt hours lithium batteries, part of the Volta Power System
- Inverter: 3,600 watt
- Secondary Alternator: 8,000 watt charging system
- Storage: overhead cabinets throughout the van, garage area underneath the platform bed
How much does a Storyteller Overland cost?
The 2022 model year MODE vans are priced as follows:
- $153,748 for the MODE LT
- $157,747 for the Classic MODE 4×4
- $169,454 for the Stealth MODE 4×4
- $198,746 for the Beast MODE 4×4
The 2021 model year MODE vans are priced as follows:
- $149,748 for the Classic MODE 4×4
- $154,454 for the Stealth MODE 4×4
- $189,743 for the Beast MODE 4×4
Storyteller Transit MODE LT
While the brand new Storyteller Overland Transit MODE LT has been announced, the features won’t be made available few a couple more months. As the website says, it’s been “more than 3 years in the making” and we, along with many fans of the Transit platform eagerly wait for the details of Storyteller Overland’s AWD Transit adventure van. Until then, check out our experience in the MODE 4×4 Transit Prototype below.
MODE 4×4 Transit Prototype Van by Storyteller Overland
If you’ve been around long enough, then no doubt you have seen our original Ford Transit MODE prototype out living its best life with some of our dear friends on Youtube at some point in recent years.StorytellerOverland.com
When we first learned about Storyteller Overland at an RV Show in 2019, the company debuted two MODE 4×4 prototype vans. One of the prototypes was built on the Ford Transit chassis with the 148″ wheelbase which is featured in the video above.
The main reason we filmed this tour of the Transit MODE 4×4 prototype is because we were interested in Class B RVs built on the Ford Transit platform. This camper van also stood out to us because it had the aftermarket Quigley 4×4 conversion.
Read about more chassis options for a camper van.
Two Months in the Transit MODE 4×4 Prototype
We had the opportunity to test the Transit MODE 4×4 prototype and share that experience with our readers and views. It ended up being a two month adventure exploring the U.S. in the camper van and over 7,000 miles. During that time, we carried a DRZ 400 dual sport motorcycle on the hitch. Charley, my mom’s yellow Labrador Retriever joined us for the first month so we could get a feel of what it’s like to travel with a dog in a MODE 4×4 Transit van.
MODE Van Life Video Series
In total, we have spent about four months testing the different MODE 4×4 vans by Storyteller Overland. During that time, we created several videos about what it’s like to drive and live out of these vans. The videos are embedded below or you can check out our Storyteller Overland Playlist on YouTube.
Going Off-Road to Toquerville Falls
Typical Van Life Day In a MODE4x4
Finding Community and Van Life in Bend Oregon
Moving in to a Mode 4×4
Beach Camping in a Mode 4×4
Volta Power System in Every Mode 4×4
Rent a Storyteller Overland Mode 4×4
There are several Storyteller Overland vans for rent in the U.S. Below is a list of the available Mode4x4 vans for rent that we are aware of.
- 2021 Classic Mode 4×4 for rent in San Francisco, California
- 2021 Classic Mode 4×4 for rent in Denver, Colorado
- 2021 Stealth Mode 4×4 for rent in Mercer Island, Washington
- 2021 Beast Mode 4×4 for rent in Seattle, Washington
- 2020 Classic Mode 4×4 for rent in Portland, Oregon
Another Storyteller van rental resource is GoCamp. Deborah is the founder behind this woman-owned business based out of Portland, Oregon. You can find a collection of Storyteller Overland vans for rent on GoCamp’s Try Before You Buy page.
For MODE owners looking to rent their van, GoCamp is also an option. Check out their list your van page for more information. If you decide to list your van there, tell them We’re the Russos sent you to waive the commission fee on your first rental.
Used Storyteller Overland MODE 4×4 for Sale
With a few hundred Storyteller Mode 4×4 Class B vans out in the wild, some used vans are becoming available. However, these are sold fairly quickly to people who don’t want to wait for a brand new MODE 4×4.
If you have a used MODE 4×4 for sale, leave us a comment and we’ll be happy to share it here.
Additional Storyteller Overland Resources
Below is a list of additional resources where you can learn more about Storyteller Overland, ask questions or just learn more about van life in general.
- Join the Insiders & MODElifers Facebook Group
- See a MODE 4×4 in person at an Overland Event or RV Show
- Check out STO Nation Podcast on YouTube
- Check Out Chad and Paul’s van life adventures in their MODE4x4
- Read our post on Frequently Asked Questions About Van Life
Disclosure: the Storyteller Overland MODE 4×4 vans referenced in this post were on loan to us to test and provide feedback on. No one told us what to write or say. All of the opinions are our own, 100%.